domenica 28 aprile 2013

REVIEW: "THE FACE THIEF" by Eli Gottlieb


If you choose to read The Face Thief, be prepared to be transported into the psyches and tangled emotions of the three main characters who deal with a central theme of artful manipulation. Rarely have I read a book that brought me so convincingly into the personalities of its featured players and their respective psychological struggles.

Three stories are masterfully cadenced and woven together. First is the story of Margot, a chameleon beauty who has mastered the art of the con. Then there is Lawrence, the middle-aged man who has is an expert in the art of face and body reading - and who makes a living teaching others the same. Lastly, there is Potash, a happily married man (in his second marriage) who fancies himself a shrewd investor, yet is lured into an investment scam that deprives him of his life's savings.
Crafting a story that switches between story lines yet brings them closer and closer together is not something that I have seen with such success since reading Michael Cunningham's The Hours. Gottlieb handles this beautifully, as well as hooking the reader's interest early on. Simply said, you just can't put this book down - not only because of the compelling story line, but because Gottlieb's writing style is composed of eloquently and effortlessly crafted descriptions and metaphors so essential to great story telling.

I don't want to give this story away, but I will tell you the effect it had on me. As the story progressed I found myself increasingly uncomfortable and feeling as though the individual  struggles, of Lawrence and Potash in particular were my own. In fact I had to shake myself out of the identification with these characters to bring myself back to my own reality. I felt as if I had been "tricked" into becoming part of this story rather than a distant observer.

The story begins with the mysterious Margot surviving a fall down some stairs and slowly but surely reclaiming her memory as an enamored cop sits at her bedside to investigate her "fall" and to understand just who she is. As the story continues Lawrence's and Potash's stories unfold, and soon the reader realizes that both are connected to Margot in ways that demonstrate how easily even the most intelligent people can be "had".
I'd like to share more about how this story develops but I'll stop here and hope that my observations are intriguing enough for you to invest in what I believe will be time well spent, in reading this excellent book.

Questa recensione è di Jed S. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...